Thursday, August 5, 2010

Reality Check

do you ever have those times in your life when everything seems surreal? as though your life were one long weekend? about the last 2 years have been one long weekend for me. as one who believes in rec therapy, I play all that I can. I love the mountains. I learned first-hand, though, how unforgiving the mountains can be.

on the last day of June in the year 2010, I was experiencing some rec therapy in the mountains with a friend. I took a fall, and I broke my leg.

after my friend carried me out of the canyon on his back, we almost hit a deer on the way to the after-hours clinic.

after being sent from the clinic to the emergency room, I waited in the hospital for 3 days to find that there was too much swelling to perform the regular surgery for my ankle. so they did a preliminary surgery to hold it in place while I waited a week for the swelling to go down.

after my second (and hopefully final) surgery, I have some pretty wicked awesome scars, and my leg is finally on the mend. I am currently not able to drive (it was my right ankle), and several vacations this summer have been put on hold, canceled, and/or otherwise frustrated.

I have learned a lot over the past month, though. I have learned empathy in a way I never could have otherwise. it is interesting to be learning about inclusion and ADA regulations in school, while requiring those services myself.

it is interesting to see which friends I can call on, and which friends shy away when I need help.

just going into a store, or going out for ice cream, or just going anywhere in public...customer service skills really shine (or not)...and its easy to see from my perspective. it is obvious when other people have been through the experience of having a broken leg, or some disabling feature. empathy plays a big role in life.

I have had the pleasure of living with my parents again while I am still not able to walk using both legs. I never thought I'd be back at home, but it has been so fun!! seriously. my parents are incredible. I am so glad that I live so close to home, and that they can and are so willing to help me out when I need it.

1 comment:

  1. Nice outlook. Things happen in life that we cannot control. And life is all about how we react to them. Don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete